Ask Afpop – European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

British state pensioners who qualify for S1 and have registered it with Social Security in Portugal will need to apply for the EHIC at the Pensions Service in the UK (it is not issued by Portugal but by the country paying your state pension). This should only be done after arrival in Portugal and the EHIC cannot be requested until the S1 is registered in Portugal.

For people in this situation, it is important to know that they can still access the NHS when visiting the UK. If they need long-term treatment this will also be possible in the UK, but they must ensure that they do not violate the residency requirements for Portugal, who must remain in Portugal for at least at least six months a year. The EHIC is valid for emergency care when traveling to other EU countries that are part of the EHIC agreement.

For British citizens who are pre-retired, that is to say who do not receive the British State pension and who do not work in Portugal, it is Portugal which issues the EHIC and it is requested at the office of social Security.

Afpop is a non-profit association that has supported and informed its members for more than 33 years. For the payment of a small annual membership fee, afpop members have access to a wealth of information, which is regularly researched and updated by their professional services team. For afpop members who have a question, the answer is always the same. Ask apop.
More information about the association and the benefits of membership can be found on their website or by sending an email to their office at [email protected]

Source link

About Nancy Owens

Nancy Owens

Check Also

Advanced driving lessons and tests: prices, insurance and safety services explained

It is so easy to ignore the idea of ​​an advanced driving course, especially if …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *